Thursday, July 27, 2017

Create Your Own Custom American Girl Doll Visual Guide


American Girl's "Create Your Own" custom AG doll was originally slated to be released by now, but it has been delayed (rumors say either due to IT problems, or for the current 20% coupon to expire). The new release date is August 8th, 2017 according to a recent Mattel press release. (Click here to read the press release.)


Until then, AG has released a little teaser trailer for the launch on Youtube, showcasing some of the possible combinations. Because I am a nitpicky, curious person, I ended up taking about 70 screenshots from the video to see just what exactly the customization options will be. XD Below is a little visual guide I put together to help people "pre-design" their doll.

Price for Each Custom Doll: $200
Includes:
- Your Custom Doll
- Free Shipping
- Special Doll Box
- Outfit
- Accessory Set
- 6 Month Subscription to AG Magazine

Face Molds & Vinyl Coloring:
There will be 5 face mold options (Classic, Addy, Josefina, Jess, Sonali) and  3 vinyl color options (Light, Medium, Dark). Below are the 15 possible face mold and vinyl color combinations, listed in the order the face molds were created.
**Additional examples of the face mold/color combinations from the AG video are at the end of the post where I posted all the screenshots taken.

Classic Face Mold
Light vinyl

Medium vinyl

Dark vinyl
(Sorry for the blurry quality of this photo! For the life of me I couldn't get a clear screenshot because it went by so fast)


Addy Face Mold
Light vinyl

(I could not find a medium vinyl Addy doll example from the AG video and catalog.)


Dark vinyl


Josefina Face Mold
Light vinyl

Medium vinyl

Dark vinyl


Jess Face Mold
Light vinyl

Medium Vinyl

Dark vinyl


Sonali Face Mold
Light vinyl

Medium vinyl

Dark vinyl


Eye Colors:
There will be 7 eye colors (Dark pinwheel blue, Light pinwheel blue, Pinwheel green, Dark pinwheel brown, Decal light brown, Grey pinwheel, Hazel decal)
**You can see close ups of the different eyes on L&L's Eye Chart by clicking here.

Dark Pinwheel Blue

Light Pinwheel Blue

Dark Pinwheel Brown

Decal Brown

Green Pinwheel

Grey Pinwheel

Hazel Decal


Hair Styles & Colors:
According to the AG video, there will be 112 style/color combinations of hair.
So this is the section that was the most confusing and hard to figure out. I used a combination of the screenshots from the video, and the catalog images to flesh it out as much as possible, but it is not complete. The categorization of each hair style and color are made up by what I see, and may very well have errors. Please let me know if you see any!

I have split the hair section into 2 categories, Hair Styles & Hair Colors. Both sections have the same images, just organized in a different way depending on what you're looking for.

Hair Styles:
#1 - The Ruthie/Rebecca/#56 Hybrid


#2 - The #58 


#3 - Mega Waves & Curls


#4 - Bob with Bangs, aka The Nellie


#5 - The #67


#6 - The Maryellen (-uneven bangs)


#7 - The Jess


#8 - The Kit


#9 - The Lea


#10 - The Grace


#11 - The Pixie


#12 - The Basic Smooth Long Hair


#13 - The Textured Basic


Hair Colors:

The Lighter Blonds


The Darker Blonds


The Darker Brunettes


The Lighter Brunettes


The Darker Carrot Reds

The Caramels


Freckles:
I'm not freckle savvy. Can anyone tell me if these are the same as the original AG freckle pattern? Grace's freckle pattern? A completely new freckle pattern?
Left: No freckles
Right: With freckles



Braces:
I'm not sure if these are painted onto the teeth and relatively permanent, or if they're stickers that can be taken on and off, or if they're an actual plastic piece.



Glasses:
These are the glasses I saw in the video, though the options may continuously change as AG gets new designs and retires old ones. They seem to line up with the Truly Me glasses.
Brown Ombre Glasses

Raspberry Glasses

Striped Sunglasses

Turquoise Glasses

Tortoise Sunglasses


Ear Piercing with Earrings:
I only see the star earrings from the video, though there may be other options.



Hearing Aid:


Outfits:
There are 6 outfits to choose from.
Those cat shoes!!!! XD So cute!

"My shirt looks like static on the TV."

I like this one a lot!

Another outfit I really like. The flower crown looks like the "flower princess" filter on Snapchat. XD

This outfit is also in my top 3. 

This one is a little too fuwa-fuwa-princessy for my personal taste though I can see it being a hit with little girls. 


Accessory Sets:
There are 6 accessory set options.
I dub thee "Boho Turquoise Set"
This is also the only set without a cup/drink container.

"Fruity Hipster Set"

"Sporty Health Nut Set"

"Fancy Rich Princess Set"

"Colorful Sparkle Bling Set"

"Cutesy Girly Set"


Doll's Background:
You can choose your doll's Name, Favorite Place, Hobby, and Pets.
I hope they have a lot of options in each bubble. XD 
This is Michelle who likes to travel and has a dog. ^_^

Nicolette likes music and dance, and has a dog.

Giana like sports and has a rabbit? 

Keepsake Box:
I like the fingerprint-stars on the box! It's a nice subtle touch! ^_^

Fancy ribbon tie!

AG Magazine:

A 6 month subscription to AG's magazine! So 3 free issues since they're bi-monthly. 

Custom T-Shirt:

You can design your own shirt as well! I wonder if it will be similar to what they already have in stores. 




Link to original AG video on Youtube:

Link to original AG Catalog with additional images: https://content.digitalpub.blue-soho.com/web/y5b2/0A1ujpf/July2017Flash/html/index.html

Below are all the screenshots I took from the video: 






































































46 comments:

  1. Thanks Lilly! I hope there's someplace where you can save creations for later (kind of like what Makies had.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! Worse comes to worse, we might just have to screenshot the dolls we make and save the image that way. ^_^

      Delete
  2. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, AG!!! LOL, I may have to go this route someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha isn't it already like that?

      Delete
    2. yes it definitely is... take it from a 10 year old (me) with 14 ag dolls!

      Delete
  3. I think the pic you have for a Medium skin Josie mold is actually a Sonali mold, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Jen. The medium Josefina mold is actually a Sonali mold.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I just fixed it! (Towards the end all the face molds started blurring together in my mind!) :D

      Delete
  4. This is a fantastic post though! Thank you for going to all this work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool! I have two dolls I'd like to add to my family, but they really weren't available. Now they might be, if I can scrounge up the cash!
    ~Xyra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all of the options a lot and also have a few in mind already, though I don't know if my wallet is prepared. :D

      Delete
  6. I love the Pixie hair cut but $$$$ is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :'( When it comes to collecting AG... money is always a problem hahaha!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for clarifying the options Lilly Maiden! The freckles definitely aren't Grace's--Grace's go across her nose. To me they just look like the regular old freckles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't have that many freckle dolls so I wasn't sure! ^_^

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Lilly Maiden? I just started a blog and was wondering if you'd mind checking it out. It's https://americangirlhereandthere.wordpress.com/
      (You are actually one of the people who inspired me to start blogging.)
      Thanks in advance!

      Delete
  8. Is it just me or does the classic mold look different? It looks like a completely different mold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks "off" to me as well, but I think that's due to the weird program AG is using for their customizing app. It distorts the image of the face slightly. The actual classic mold custom dolls from the catalog and parts of the video still look the same. :)

      Delete
    2. Haha glad you cleared that up! :) I was a little concerned about that at first too. Also do you know if you will be able to customize them from the website of do you have to download an app?

      Delete
    3. Olivia Maegan... the press release says its an "online tool" so I think in the video when the girl used a tablet they were just online

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much. This was a lot of work and a tremendous service.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When will this be coming out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the top of the post I put the date, August 8th, and linked to the Mattel press release with the information. :)

      Delete
  11. Confirming the comment of PolkaDotPatriot, the freckle pattern shown is the one Kit, Lindsay, and Nellie have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have never looked very closely at the freckle patterns so didn't know! ^_^

      Delete
  12. "Fruity Hipster Set"

    I don't care what the official name is or will be, this is the name now and forever at Neth's Den of Fabulousness

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wondered why the outfit line up at the top of the post was 4 dolls longer. it looks like the design your own t comes in 3 lengths, a short t, long t or a dress. the blanks are on the ag create your own web page. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its not yet clear if this will be available to us international collectors, hope so. i dont need a magazine, id at least like to have all the clothes and accessory sets as buyable options, and yes a doll or 2 (or more). The Sonali mold with ginger hair keeps looking at me.

      Delete
    2. wonder if the Jess mold has Ivy eyes?

      Delete
    3. In the catalog there's a set of images with captions like Choose your hairstyle, Choose you skin tone -- one says something about eye color and the illustration shows Ivy shaped eyes. Can you trust that? Who knows, but the implication is that Ivy eyes are an alternative you can choose.

      Delete
    4. Or -- look above under Hairstyles. The Jess shown under "The Jess" has Ivy eyes. That's not a guarantee, but it is a serious indication that Ivy eyes will be available.

      Delete
  14. This is going to be so tempting, especially that pixie haircut. I'm hoping it comes in a light brown shade too. Very cool, and you must have the patience of a saint to do all of those screen shots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even for people who didn't get the 20% off coupons with their catalogs, there still are double points for rewards members in celebration of AG Rewards first birthday. However, the offer expires on July 31st. I find it hard to believe that moving the launch date of the Create Your Own dolls is not a coincidence that it is after the coupon and the double points is expiring. I was super excited when I thought I was going to be able to order one on July 24th and was looking forward to getting double points on a new product! :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I bet this was a lot of fun as well as a lot of work :)
    To get 112 wigs, we need more options. 13 x 6 is only 78. I think there are two styles pictured under #12; 12.5 is your stick-straight option vs. your classic long straight with slight overall curve. And I suspect the hair colors include both black and dark brown. That's still only 14 x 7, but I can't speculate another color or two more hair styles from the pictures right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so wonderfully informative and it must have been exhausting work! Thank you for putting this all together and so beautifully. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really want McKenna so this will hopefully be an alternative. too bad ag is all $$$$$$$$$$$$$

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anyone else sad they didn't have caramel colored hair as an option? :(

    I hope they plan on adding more choices in the future. I need need NEED Nanea's face mold as an option as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way about the caramel hair, since it wasn't available I took a new doll and re wigged her. Not a custom mind you just a Tenney from Kohls. She looks really nice with a new ash blond wig. My first ever doll scalping but I'm pleased with the results. Best of all, she can hold a guitar...

      Delete
  20. Can you try to find some more things or facts of Luciana?

    ReplyDelete
  21. So nice to see you at American Girl Brand Doll Place Houston Store Monday for the release Luciana. Hope you get to do a post and share the event on your page. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lily, where have you been? I hope you are okay!

    ReplyDelete