Monday, February 22, 2016

1960s Beforever Melody Doll & Collection Revealed!

This morning on CBS, American Girl finally revealed what we've all been dying to see, their newest Beforever character from the 1960s, Melody Ellison doll and her collection! I have included the link to the video below and I highly recommend watching it. It covers many serious problems in the AG doll demographics and even discusses the retirement of minority characters Cecile and Ivy. 

*A full list of links to all the leaks we've gotten for Melody is at the bottom of this post.*


Below are the screenshots I took from the video for those who are not able to load the video and for quick reference. I didn't crop the play bar out of the photos so people know what time in the video to go to if they need to rewatch these parts.



Quick Overview:
-Melody will have shoulder length, textured, flipped hair with bangs.
-She has the Sonali mold with dark vinyl coloring, and what looks to me like brown eyes
-Her meet outfit consists of a teal hairbow, white socks that come to her knees, and matching teal flat shoes with bows (?), (and I am assuming she will get time appropriate underwear). 
-Her meet accessories will consist of her beret (I'm not sure what the correct term for this style of hat is) hat, and a purse, both teal and matching the bows on her dress, and an Equal Rights pin. There may be other items.
-She has a recording studio
-She has a table & chairs set, and what looks like a bingo set! Food wise it seems like there is a set with hot dogs and drinks, and more. In addition, there seems to be a yellow keyboard & microphone set. 
-Her additional outfits include the floral peplum dress and the colorful rainbow play outfit. (Both have been leaked on eBay.)
-Her pajamas set are dark blue. (This was also leaked on eBay.) The bottoms are shorts.
-Her bed & bedding has an orange theme, and it seems like the mixed terrier Bojangles is definitely hers. Her bedtime accessories look like they include a neon green radio and book, and more.
-In the screenshots, you will see prototype versions of potential Melody "looks" as well as several concept boards showing her collection and potential items it in. 

Screenshots:
First we see some of the scenes and backdrops AG has created for Melody's catalog photoshoots. You can see her standing in front of the records store.

Door number #64. I wonder if that will be significant?


Here is the beautiful doll herself shown with her meet accessories! In the background you can see her table & chairs set and one side of her recording studio, along with just the end of her bed poking out.

Sonali mold, with brown eyes and dark vinyl.

Her hair is flipped and textured! This is both authentic and awesome for little fingers because it will be so much easier to manage and put into fun hairstyles. 

Here you can see the table & chairs set, with the Bingo game, hot dogs, and the yellow keyboard/microphone set.

I think those are bows on her shoes. I'm not good with fashion and mix and matching so I love it when AG does matchy-matchy. :D

Here is a better look at one side of her recording studio, along with her modeling the floral peplum dress! There are two sides to the recording studio, a "in the room singing" part, and a sound mixer/editing/tech room on the other side.

Trying to find accurate colors and fabric prints. I know many people feel AG is no longer adhering to history, but I still feel AG is doing their best to research and stay historically accurate in their BeForever line. 

Several concept board diagrams of how Melody can be paired with her collection. You can see the inspiration for the floral peplum dress in the background. 

More inspiration for Melody's collection.


This was very exciting to see. These are prototype designs for the Melody doll and possible "looks" for her. I love the dress the doll on the left end is wearing.

Here is her bed time collection, complete with her dog Bojangles! It looks like the cover is reversible, and she will have a small, neon green radio, along with a book. (Anyone know what book it is?)

Here is the mixing/editing/tech side of the recording studio! This part has a lot of fun parts, which light up. The two wheels on the wall actually spin and I am hoping the knobs on the sound control panel can move. There is also a schedule and yellow phone on the wall.

One last look at lovely Melody!

I can't wait to "meet" you in person this summer Melody! ^_^

Screenshots from CBS Photo Gallery:
*A few people have contacted me letting me know they are unable to open the CBS photo gallery so I have take screenshots of the images and descriptions for ease of viewing. If you are able, please view the images on the CBS page here: http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/a-new-american-girl-doll-debuts/















"Like" us on Facebook and Follow us to get notifications of updates, news, reviews, and more!

All 1960s BeForever Melody Ellison Leaks/Info/Photos:
Link to Photos of 1960s Beforever Melody Doll in Various Hairstyles:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/07/photos-of-melody-with-various.html

Link to Comparison Photos of Melody, Addy, & Cecile Dolls:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/07/comparison-photos-of-melody-addy-cecile.html

Link to 1960s Beforever Melody Doll Review with Photos:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/06/1960s-beforever-melody-ellison-doll.html

Link to Photos Possible Red Polka Dot Birthday Dress for 1960s Beforever Melody Ellison:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/05/photos-of-potential-red-dress-for-truly.html

        ->Link to Detail Photos of Red Polka Dot Dress Modeled on Sonali Doll:
            http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/06/photos-of-red-dress-for-beforever.html

Link to Photos of Potential Gold Bow Dress for 1960s Beforever Melody Ellison:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/05/leaked-gold-dress-for-beforever-melody.html

Link to Photos of Potential Gold Coat, Hat, & Gloves Set for 1960s Beforever Melody Ellison:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/05/leaked-photos-of-coat-for-beforever.html

        ->Link to Collector Detail Photos of Potential Gold Coat for 1960s Beforever Melody:
            http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/05/golden-coat.html

Link to Photos of Blue Pajama Top for 1960s Beforever Melody Ellison:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/03/photos-of-1960s-beforever-melodys_28.html

        ->Link to Photos of Complete Blue Starry Pajamas Outfit for 1960s Beforever Melody:
            http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/06/leaked-photos-of-beforever-melodys-full.html

Link to Photos of Rainbow Play Outfit for 1960s Beforever Melody Ellison:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/03/photos-of-1960s-beforever-melodys.html

Link to Stock Photos for Doll & Floral Peplum Dress for 1960s Beforever Melody Ellison:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/02/stock-photos-for-melody-doll-floral.html

Link to Photos of Doll & Collection for 1960s Beforever Melody Ellison:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/02/1960s-beforever-melody-doll-collection.html

Link to Journey Book Cover Illustration for 1960s Beforever Melody Ellison:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/01/journy-book-cover-for-1960s-beforever.html

Link to Book 2 Cover Illustration for 1960s Beforever Melody Ellison:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/01/book-2-cover-for-1960s-beforever-melody.html

Link to Potential Release/Debut Date for 1960s Beforever Melody Doll & Collection:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2015/12/1960s-beforever-melody-ellison-release.html

Link to Photos of Pet Dog for 1960s Beforever character Melody Ellison:
http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2015/12/photos-of-1960s-beforever-melody.html

        ->Link to Collector Detail & Comparison Photos of Pet Dog for 1960s Beforever Melody:
            http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/01/photos-of-1960s-beforever-melodys-dog.html

Link to Photos of potential store debut gift & name for 1960s BeForever girl modeled on dolls:

Link to 2nd potential leaked outfit, Floral Peplum Dress, for BeForever 2016:

       ->Link to Photos of 1960s BeForever Floral Bow Dress modeled on Truly Me #26 doll:

Link to 1st potential leaked outfit, Green Plaid Dress, for BeForever 2016: 

       ->Link to Photos of 1960s BeForever Green Houndstooth Dress modeled on Kanani doll:
           http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2015/11/photos-of-1960s-beforever-green.html

       ->Link to Photos of Melody's Green Meet Dress modeled on Truly Me #62 doll:
           http://lissieandlilly.blogspot.com/2016/06/photos-of-truly-me-62-in-beforever.html

Link to information about the 2016 BeForever historical character's book 1

       ->Link to Cover Illustration & Back Cover Summary for 1960s BeForever Book 1:

       ->Link to Book 1 Chapter List, and Book 2 & Journey Book Titles & Summaries:

       ->Link to Specific Details about Melody, her family, and story from Book 1:

72 comments:

  1. Melody is definitely a cutie! I'm really disappointed that she doesn't have dimples though...

    ~The Girl Upstairs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh yes, I am kind of disappointed, too..........But you've gotta admit, she does look pretty cute in the Sonali mold!
      -Nova <3

      Delete
    2. I agree! She's so beautiful, dimples or not. ^_^

      Delete
  2. I am mixed on her, she is not nearly as cute as the book cover made me think she would be. The girl on the covers is so adorable and full of life. The doll melody feel a little boring in comparison. Not sure yet, once the catalog comes out I may change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still in love with the doll. For me, I usually am not expecting the illustration to translate to the doll perfectly (though I was hoping for dimples). I hope little girls will love her. :D

      Delete
  3. I too was hoping for a new face mold with dimples. But her hair is perfect. I wore that same flip in the 60's. The hat style is called a Breton hat. Marlo Thomas wore one in That Girl as did Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby. I had one in straw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information about the Breton hat! Melody's hair is definitely beautiful and I love that it can be worn in such a variety of ways. ^_^

      Delete
    2. I cant wait to get her!!!!! I wish she could come out sooner:( I have $60 so far but I will definitely have enough money when she comes out maybe even some for her sets and a outfit for Melody I AM SO EXITED!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I really like her, and I am impressed that in the video the reporter asked questions that AG usually don't answer properly about the 'flaws' in the diversity of the doll line.

    Luckily, as although I live in the UK, I just happen to be coming in the summer and also I am coming around the time Melody is released, so as I am staying near AG, I hope to make it to the debut! :)

    What are your initial thoughts? do you think you may end up getting her or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, do you think she will get some sort of hairstyling set to help with her flips? It looked like the actual doll's flips were less obvious than the doll stood in the sound booth.

      Delete
    2. Me again! sorry to bombard you with messages, but is the #64 supposed to signify 1964?

      Delete
    3. I'm not Lilly, but yes, the #64 does mean 1964. Hope this helped! :)
      -Nova <3

      Delete
    4. I live Ireland, so you are so lucky to go near AG, I have never been to America before! I don't think I will be going any time soon, either, but I also wished for a unique face mold, but at least its not another Addy mold! I think I might just have to pick her up though!
      ~AG_Lunar

      Delete
    5. Wait sorry I read the article again, and now I don't think it means 1964. It might, though!
      -Nova <3

      Delete
    6. So cute! I am back in Ukraine! We are coming to America to vist sites tha summer! Hope to make it! Also on Lilly's next set of posts does the doll have in hair extensions on the pluminum dress?
      -Lea&Samantha

      Delete
    7. That's why I was impressed with the video as well, since it's rare for AG to directly speak about the lack of diversity in their lines and retiring characters of color. My initial thoughts are incredibly positive and I cannot recall when I was last so excited for a doll's release. She's definitely the total package, beautiful doll, moving story, lovely wardrobe, and fun furniture and accessories! I will definitely be picking her up! ^_^

      Delete
  5. She's adorable! Yet another cute doll from AG...........Ugh!! I can't take it! Money doesn't grow on trees! But I have a question. I'm kind of confused. If AG revealed her, shouldn't they release her? I checked the AG website and she's not here yet. Just wondering, thank you! PS: She actually looks pretty good in the Sonali mold, even though she doesn't have dimples like I was hoping for.....oh well!
    -Nova <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wish she came out sooner, but I think she is coming out in June? I am happy that she was shown as a doll, but seriously AG?!? Why so early? I need her now! Though, I'll be broke! I already need Lea,Maryellen,#55,#39, Kit and Samantha, no mind Melody now? Haha, I still cannot wait for her. And as for the face mold, I too wanted a dimpled face mold but, alas, at least its not ANOTHER african-american doll with an Addy mold, I much prefer Sonali molds. Addy molds though, not a huge fan of those! :-)
      ~AG_Lunar

      Delete
    2. Just in case you are wondering, I have #39. I named her Luna. She's a great doll and I totally recommend her! :D

      -Nova <3

      PS: I'm kind of mad at AG right now! LOL!!

      Delete
    3. Nova, this is the first time where AG is doing things differently. They first released her book, and now are revealing the doll & collection (probably in celebration for Black History Month), and the doll and her collection will be officially available for purchase this summer. I believe they are doing this so Melody's release doesn't take sales away from Lea, and to build hype for this beautiful character. This also saves them from release a new doll within a month of each other.

      Delete
    4. Ahhhhhhh thank you for explaining that! I was wondering what was going on. I was like, "They have never done this before!" But now, we all are going to have to suffer until we can see her in person! LOL just kidding! Thank you for your help!

      -Nova <3

      Delete
  6. Book is definitely "The Secret Garden". If you look up the covers for that book, that one will come up in google images. She might get sunglasses with accessories,though that photo of doll with book, hat and purse also includes a mini doll and does not show the Equal rights pin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like that book so I'll definitely try to get a copy. ^_^

      Delete
  7. I'm sadly underwhelmed by everything. The only thing I plan to buy other than the doll is the peplum dress and her accessories. I am really glad they made the recording studio, though. I look forward to seeing it in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it mainly her collection you're underwhelmed by, her doll design? Or her entire character and story? I find her collection hard to relate to, but her wardrobe and story are very well done for me. :)

      Delete
    2. The stories are the only things I like. I hate to say it, but I'm almost resentful that I "have" to buy her. She's probably just going to be boxed up in my parents attic. I already tried to pawn her off on my mother, but she saw a picture and didn't care for her either. ;-/

      Delete
    3. Ah that's such a disappointment. :( I know you were looking forward to her after reading the stories. Hopefully some of her future, later releases will appeal to you!

      Delete
    4. Actually, I was only excited for the other two stories - not the doll itself. I got a pair of amber eyes courtesy of the stacking glitch, so I plan on giving her those.

      Delete
  8. I have that book. It is The Secret Garden. The version with the Tasha Tudor cover. Love it in mini version! Thanks Lilly Maiden for posting all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A pillbox hat, like Jackie Kennedy wore I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna mentioned earlier in the comments she thought it was a Breton hat, but I think pillbox fits too!

      Delete
  10. ok that's it there goes all my money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! IKR!! Even though I probably won't get Melody, she's super cute! The reason I'm not getting her is because I'm going to save my money to get an new doll this fall that will either be Kaya, #23, #55, #61, or Lea. I hate having to chose just one doll! :D

      -Nova <3

      Delete
    2. The most relatable comment ever!
      ~AG_Lunar

      Delete
    3. I will most definitely be getting Melody! :D One of the most beautiful dolls AG has come out with, with one of the best wardrobes and stories. ^_^ How could anyone resist?

      Delete
  11. She is so much cuter than I thought she would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! I can't wait to see her in person! ^_^

      Delete
  12. the amazing, gravity-defying Bojangles! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bojangles be like: Gravity? Ain't nobody got time for that!
      XD
      ~AG_Lunar

      Delete
    2. He decided try defying gravity

      Delete
    3. Hahahaha! Gravity's got nothing on Bojangles!

      Delete
  13. Did you hear that screaming?
    ...
    That was me looking through the slideshow earlier. Melody and as much of her collection as I can possibly afford will hopefully come home with me first day! I love her so much. Do you think if I kidnapped the CEO they'd give me her collection as ransom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmmmmm... maybe you should try it and bring a Melody collection for me too! LOL Just kidding!

      -Nova <3

      Delete
    2. I'm screaming with you! This may be the first time I buy a doll the moment she's released! I can't wait for her. :)

      Delete
  14. I knew you'd have the scoop! Thanks for your excellent and easy to see/follow/read information on Melody!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you think that's it? Ellie had a couple more outfits, and more accessories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND ANOTHER THING... XD I spy the girls' pajamas and meet outfit in the drawings on the wall! The pajamas look to have a pink top and skirt or shorts (skort?). The meet is a long sleeved teal shirt and houndstooth skirt.

      Delete
    2. They never have sizes of girls clothes for over 13's... and even if they did, I am lucky otherwise I'd have to get loans, I would be so broke!
      n_n

      Delete
    3. Also, love your username btw!

      Delete
    4. She will come in her meet dress, then as far as I know 2 other outfits (floral peplum and rainbow play outfit), and her blue PJs set. I do hope she has more. I'd love to see some yellow in her wardrobe too. ^_^

      Delete
  16. I just saw a picture of her stock photo and she is so adorable!!! It looks like she may have lined eyebrows. Can anyone confirm this? I hope AG reconsiders and releases her soon, like right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely has feathered brows. (Lined brows are probably being phased out anyway.)

      Delete
    2. Haha, me too, but I doubt it! :-) Where did you find a stock photo? I wanna see too! xD
      ~AG_Lunar

      Delete
    3. From her stock photos she definitely has the feathered eyebrows. ^_^

      Delete
  17. I found an article in the Huffington Post. If you google Huffinton Post new american girl doll it should come up. There is an article about Melody, her stock photo (Adorable!) And another photo of her in the peplum dress. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for sharing this with me! I loved the stock photos, and the one of her in the floral peplum dress is just too cute! ^_^

      Delete
  18. Lilly,are the headphones in the recording studio removable?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anyone else notice she will actually have TWO chairs instead of one for her table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The table & chairs sets for the Beforever dolls have always come with 2 chairs and the table.

      Delete
  20. Do mini dolls have undergarments? If you look closely at her mini it appears that mini and big Dee-Dees will come with plain white panties akin to Maryellen's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I am aware, all of my mini dolls have come with their appropriate miniature under garment. :)

      Delete
    2. My final observation, I promise! XD Her second book's excerpt mentioned a birthday dress and coat that matched the amaryllises, which are red and white. Perhaps those will be part of her collection.

      Delete
    3. Hahaha observe away! I love hearing things other people notice. The birthday dress/coat ensemble sounds beautiful, but I don't think it will be part of the summer release mainly because I think CBS has more or less leaked the whole collection at the moment to us. Maybe it will be part of the next release for Melody?

      Delete
  21. Do you notice in the historical character story boards in the background? I don't see any for Julie or Samantha. Do you think they were somewhere else or maybe nothing new for these guys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is the camera angle just wasn't wide enough to capture all the storyboards for the different characters. :)

      Delete